I had about an hour and a half, which meant I was really just getting groceries. But then I realized I could take a time out for myself right there in the parking lot.
What to do, what to do…
I was limited by my lack of preparation. Still, getting creative, you can do lots of things that don’t even require you to have supplies on hand.
Here’s my list of top things to do in the car when you find yourself with a couple spare minutes.
- Catch up on magazines you’ve been wanting to read.
- Listen to the radio. Pop in a great CD and turn it up really loud.
- Pray, if you’re so inclined. Or just reflect. Meditate. Feel the peace around you and get yourself back in balance.
- Jot down the details of the to-do list that’s been swimming around in your head.
- Open mail.
- Write a letter.
- Use your smartphone, if you’ve got one, to respond to outstanding emails.
- Make a phone call. To a friend, your mom, your sister or even just the cable guy if it’s been hanging over your head.
- Clean up the wrappers on the floor from all the snacks you fed your kids in the car over the last week.
- File your nails.
- Sleep. (Make sure to lock the doors!)
Me? I turned up the radio on my favorite station, listened to a couple great songs, and then left the car with a smile on my face.
But I’m seriously considering putting together a Me-Time Baggie with a nail file, a great magazine and some other treats for the next time this might happen. If only I could find a way to epilate my legs there – those babies are seriously in need of some hair removal and there’s never time at home!